2010-06-10

Methi Prawns - Fenugreek Prawns

Prawns prawns prawns yet another favorite of mine. Thai green curry with prawns and Chinese szechuan prawns, oh boy! these recipes are quite irresistible to me. I love when Somjai cooks Thai green curry, I have learnt the recipe from her, soon will post it the way she cooks. The maximum I enjoyed eating prawns was in Thailand when I went to attend Somjai and Tero's wedding. She took us to coastal side restaurant and fresh seafood tasted million dollars! I lavishly ate king prawns and lobsters. Oh miss being in Hat-Yai for food and especially for Somjai mum, we spoke in our own sign language as we didn't know each others language. But to communicate with any mom is just so easy as they are warm to all kids in the world.  And this  recipes is exclusively  from my Mum kitchen's,  the best kitchen in my world. The recipe tastes best with steamed rice.

                                                                                          Lily oh lily


                                                                                         Fresh Prawns :)


                                                                                              Ingredients


                                                                                       Ready to binge!


                                                                                     Steamed basmathi rice
















Ingredients
250 gram fresh/frozen prawns
1 tbsp oil
3 medium size onions (finely chopped)
3/4 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 - 2 tsp chili powder (according to your taste, I used 2 tsp)
2 to 3 tbsp of water ( I used fresh prawns so I used 3 tbsp)
1 tbsp dry methi leaves (kasturi methi)
1 tbsp of finely chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste

Method
Warm one tbsp of oil in non-sticky pan, add finely chopped onions and fry till onions turn very mild brown. Add ginger garlic paste, fry for 60 seconds until the raw flavor diminishes. Add prawns, fry for 30 seconds, now add  turmeric, chili powder and salt. Fry for another 60 seconds. Now add 2 or 3 tbsp of water. Leave the pan with lid closed for the prawns to cook on low heat. Prawns gets cooked very fast, so cook it slow  on low heat so that flavors infuses well in them. Check them after 10 - 15 minutes.   Now add dry methi leaves and fry for another 3 minutes. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with warm rice.

17 comments:

5am Foodie June 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Ananda, your photos are gorgeous. This looks like a nice easy recipe for a busy person or family. I love recipes that are not from a cookbook, but rather from someone's kitchen... like your mum's.

My Kitchen Antics June 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

prawns are my new found love as well...and thai..im sure it wud have been brilliant and so bloody cheap rt in Thailand...even we totally indulged in those on our short trip 2 thailand...

Anu June 10, 2010 at 1:14 PM  

Hi Ananda..nice name..your recipe looks yummy..and photos are really great..nice colorful blog

Nick P June 10, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

Beautiful photos Ananda - like the incorporation of the lillies in the styling. This recipe looks delicious.

Simply Life June 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

wow, that looks great! gorgeous photos!

Unknown June 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

@Michele Thank you :) yes indeed it one of the easiest recipe i have ever made.

@Nisha Oh ya they are extremely cheap, that was another reason for us to eat a lot, thai food rock as always

@Anu Thanks for compliment and kind words of appreciation...Happy :)

@Nick Thank you, I always go in search of props or flowers for my recipes :)

@Simple life Thanks a lot :)

Alisa June 10, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

My goodness what a lovely post!You did a wonderful job with this dish and I sure would love to share to Foodista readers this post if you wont mind.Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and it's good to go.Thanks!

Anonymous June 11, 2010 at 2:10 AM  

This looks simple to make but really delicious. I love spicy prawn dishes. There was fresh fenugreek (methi) on our East London street market this morning, the first time I have seen it fresh, however I have the dried version in my cupboard so I may well give this a go. Thank you!
hopeeternal
'Meanderings through my Cookbook'
www.hopeeternalcookbook.wordpress.com

Unknown June 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

@Alisa Thanks for your complimnets i have just registered in Foodista1

@Hopeeternal, its been ages i have had fresh Methi leaves, can't even dream of getting in Finland, Lucky you! And you can used fresh leaves in this recipe as well. Glad you liked it Thanks!

MaryMoh June 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

Mmmm....beautiful dish. Prawns is always my favourite. I love all the spices and herbs used. Must be awesome...especially with rice.

Anonymous June 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

This looks absolutely amazing. I love methi. It's never occured to me to make prawn methi, I normally put it with lamb. Will try this....

Anonymous June 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

This looks absolutely amazing. I love methi. It's never occured to me to make prawn methi, I normally put it with lamb. Will try this....

Unknown June 13, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

@Mary thanks yes indeed it was.

@Gourmet Thank you, am sure you would love it if you like them with lamb

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com June 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

I could eat it now - and almost everythin is store cupboard / freezer drawer too which is even better. Just need to track down methi leaves :-)

Unknown June 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

@Sarah how wonderful...gohead and let me know when you give it a try!

Afsal_ Alif July 11, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

I can feel the Aroma and freshness of the Prawn Curry and the Basmati rice thru the Pic: itself.....
Greayt Snaapz and Gud presentation.......

Unknown July 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

@Afsal ha ha ha...Thanks!

 
designed by GeCe for special use by A Pinch of Love