2010-08-19

A surprise dessert - Apple oats crumb

I made this dessert for Somjai as surprise, who is pregnant and is undergoing stages of pregnancy cravings. She was eagerly calling me every week asking me to check at department cafe (they are very good with this dessert) if apple crumb was available as she wanted to eat them no matter what. But unfortunately for all three weeks, apple crumb was not in menu. One Saturday we planned to have dinner at Somjai house, I promised to cook capsicum chicken, Vinoo made chocolate raspberry cupcakes  and Somjai made spicy Thai noodle, all what going to be mama wanted to eat! So I planned to bake apple oat for Somjai as surprise, not big one though but I love to watch her million dollar expression. when I gave her big bowl, she asked "oh you cooked so much chicken for me" myself and Vinoo kept quite, until she opens to find the one she wanted...all she said was "Ahhhhhhhiiiiiiiii, one 32 teeth smile and thank you Ananda". I melted! She is very expressive lady and can make anyone on this earth to laugh heart out with her timely jokes, if I find no reason to smile or talk I call Somjai, she will make me laugh in less than a minute and make quick plan for dinner to cheer up, wish I could make many more goodies for her, but 24 hrs seems to be less for a day! :)
 This is ultra simple but healthy dessert can be had just like that or with one scoop of vanilla ice-cream.  It was even great for breakfast.


  

                                                     
                                                           This pic takes me to apple wonderland :)














Ingredients
4 Granny Smith apples (green apple, peeled and diced) 
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder (you can add more or less according to ur taste)
100 gram rolled oats (we wanted crispy and crunchy, can reduce if u want more fruity
80 gram of brown sugar (according to apple sweetness, mine was sour)
2 table spoon of butter

Method
 
Preheat the oven to 170 C. Granny Smith apples are called cooking apples as they don't get smashed 
after it is baked. Mix diced apple and cinnamon powder and place  it in the baking bowl. Now mix 
oats, butter and brown sugar. Spread oat mixture evenly on top of apple. Bake to about 20 to 25 
minutes until you see juice from apple starts to bubble around the and oats gets crisp.  
 
 

22 comments:

My Kitchen Antics August 19, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

oooh wow...those apple pics are just gorgeous ananda..and abt the crumble, yeah i love it too but failed miserably once and then i decided 2 make oatmeal cookies with the remaining

Unknown August 19, 2010 at 12:11 AM  

That was so quick Nisha, Thank you dear :) yes I read about ur story. try this for the fact that there is no chance of failure :)

Namitha August 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM  

Lovely recipe..and the apple pics are fabulous :-)

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com August 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

I love your apple photos too. Very arty !

When I was pregnant, I didn't really crave anything.... except pure fruit juice ice lollies. There were various things I could not stand the smell of from 100 paces however - namely peanuts or anyone having consumed wine ....

Satya August 19, 2010 at 2:35 AM  

wow the dessert looks awesome ...though its very new to me ,i know it tastes yummy ...i become a big fan of ur photography ...lovely

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Shanthi Krishnakumar August 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Its so crunchy. Luv it

Padhu Sankar August 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Dessert looks gorgeous and pictures are so lovely .

Priya Suresh August 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

So crunchy and tempting..

Andrea the Kitchen Witch August 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

BEAUTIFUL photography!! I love the green mum blossoms with the apples, so pretty! This dessert makes me happy too! I love love love apples. bake them with cinnamon and sugar and oatmeal, well that's really just about the best stuff on earth :)

Cool Lassi(e) August 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM  

What a caring and thoughtful fried you are. I am sure your pregnant buddy loved your dish.

Suman Singh August 19, 2010 at 11:47 PM  

really an apple wonderland..love your pics..just amazing..

must say Somjai is really lucky to have a sweet friend like you and the vice versa..correct?

Apple oats crumble looks DIVINE.

Radhika August 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

I can completely feel the joy of Somjai. She is really lucky to have a friend like you. Great pics and the cinamoney apple oats crumble looks inviting.

Jayanthy Kumaran August 20, 2010 at 3:18 AM  

Looks amazing...loved your clicks and beautiful presentation dear.

MaryMoh August 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Awwww....Ananda, you are just so sweet!! I must tell every pregnant ladies to come to you...haha. Too bad I'm not.....haha. I'm sure you will make for me if I am, right?? :P Love your apple crumble. Love all the beautiful refreshing pictures of the apples. Hope you have a wonderful Friday. Mary

Catherine August 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

Ananda you are so nice :D and your pictures always look amazing! I'm terrible at eating fruit, but I would make an effort for this dish! :)

Unknown August 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

Anandaaaaaa! You always make me smile and surprise! Of course! I love your Apple oats crumb so much :) Yummy yummy! It is my pleasure to entertain you, my dear friend!!

TREAT AND TRICK August 20, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

Fantastic photos, this is really fulfilling and healthier choice, thanks for sharing dear...

Sarah@buttered-up.com August 21, 2010 at 5:22 AM  

Ooooh, I love the way this looks. So yummy. Can you just send me some? Haha!

Unknown August 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

@Gulmohar Thanks a lot :)

@Sarh-Jane Thanks, ha ha same with my friends and my sis when she was pregnant, they hate garlic and many thing which i don't even remember :)

@Satya, that is so sweet you thanks a lot dear!

@Shanthi Thanks :)

@Padu Thank you :)

@Priya Thanks :)

@Andrea Thanks :D Oh I love those little flowers too, i was lucky to get them on the day i was cooking apples, yes indeed apple with cinnamon and oats heaven! :D

@Cool lassi Thank you dear...oh she loved it! :)

@Suman Thank you, yes you are we are luck to have each other....its rare we get this kind of friends :)

@radhika Thanks l lot..infact am lucky to have her too :)

@Jay thanks for ur kinds words of appreciation! :)

@MaryMoh ha ha sure anyone is welcome i would be more than happy to cook for any one :) of course if you are any time, my pleasure, just let me know ....i can even send them my express mail :) Thank you Mary!

@Catherine same with me, i am very bad with fruits, i can handle only when they are baked....thanks lot:)

@ Somaji Darling so you manged to comment on my blog lol...Thank you Somjai :)

@ Treat and trick, My pleasure, thanks for ur kind words of appreciation! :)

@Sarh ha ha any time, let me ur address...Thanks :)

s August 31, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

They are just OMG fab!!!

Unknown September 2, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

Thank you S :)

Yours Truly September 5, 2010 at 5:44 AM  

wow your clicks of those yummy green apples take me to apple wonderland too, such a rfreshing post and recipe. you have a beautiful blog my dear. good work!

 
designed by GeCe for special use by A Pinch of Love