2012-01-31

I need cheese - Passion fruit cheese cake

Its beautiful time here in my city, thought it is freezing cold (will be reaching - 30 C this week), no complaints,  i'm enjoying the scenic beauty with thin layer of ice on trees, which makes the place look gorgeous, just like star studded trees when few rays of sunlight falls on them. Wish I could take few pictures, but I don't dare to do it, after one experience of burning my fingers. Anyways, as always winter time is always high calorie food for me. Bowl of soup I'm never happy, there should always be something to bite or cheesy that could make me feel warm. 
We had a wonderful Asian fusion dinner party during weekend, yet again I was doing the dessert my fav! Sometime back I was in Porvoo a beautiful old city in Helsinki, my friend had passion fruit cheese cake, the cake looked extremely gorgeous that I some wanted to redo it at some point, couldn't find any better day. Though that cake was baked version, I went for unbaked version. I didn't intend this recipe for blog post, unexpectedly it turned out be fantastic that I dare to post with a bad picture. Passion fruit gives beautiful freshness and flavor I'm falling in love with it!  One year old baby couldn't stop eating she was jumping on the table to eat more. Please ignore the pic and go head with it, butter, biscuit, cheese, cream, crunchy passion fruit seeds and winter.... with some margarita may be? ...perfectly cozy!  


Ingredients

180 gram digestive biscuit
50 gram butter
200 ml fresh cream (full fat)
400 gram cream cheese ( philadelphia cream cheese full fat)
100 gram sugar
4 passion fruit.
1 tspn of vanilla essence

For jelly glaze
100 ml water
1 tbspn sugar
Pulp of 1 passion fruit
1 1/2 tspn gelatin powder soaked in 1 tbpn of cold water

Method
Pulp 4 passion fruit and strain the juice out (give more pressure to strain all the juice).
Grind biscuit and butter together. Line the bottom of 18 cm cake pan  with butter biscuit crumbs, gently press them uniformly so that they are firm. Refrigerate it for about 30 mins.
In the mean time combine, sugar fresh cream and vanilla essence and beat them until stiff single peaks are formed. Next soften cream cheese in a separate bowl, very gently, better use hard mixer. If you over do them the cream cheese will become runny.
Now gently fold in fresh cream, cream cheese and passion fruit juice together until they are uniformly mixed.
Spoon the cream cheese mixture and spread evenly on the cake crust.
let the cake rest in the refrigerator

For gelatin glaze
In a heavy bottom pan, add water and sugar let them simmer on medium heat. Occasionally stir them till sugar dissolves, next add in passion fruit pulp and gelatin soaked in water. Bring it to simmer till the gelatin dissolves.
Let the glaze to cool in ice water bath till it becomes syrupy, them immediately pour it on top of the cake. Cover with fresh wrappers and refrigerate it. Serve the cake cold with warm tea or a cock tail! 

22 comments:

Priya Suresh January 31, 2012 at 10:29 PM  

Super tempting cheesecake,looks absolutely divine and inviting..

Simplyfood January 31, 2012 at 11:09 PM  

beautiful and tasty looking cheesecake.

Devaki February 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM  

Oh my goodness!!! I love love love the passionfruit glaze and if I make this for hubby it will make him weep tears of joy!!!!

So good to have you back dearie :)

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Vimitha Durai February 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM  

Oh dear. It looks so gorgeous. Superb clicks.
My Culinary Trial Room
Ongoing event - Love n Chocolate Fest

My Kitchen Antics February 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM  

oh my that does look super gorgeous. I love the diff layers..so prominent.

Unknown February 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM  

Wow perfect looking cheesecake...looks yum

Aarthi February 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM  

This looks awesome..Yummy Recipe

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Swapna February 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM  

Perfect cheese cake Ananda! I love anything with passion fruit and I also used tomake cheese cake with passion fruit :)....

Reva February 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM  

Cake looks super cool and delicious..:))
Beautiful..
Reva

Priyanka February 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM  

Beautiful and inviting....loved it

Unknown February 2, 2012 at 12:34 AM  

That's so beautiful and tempting....I made this once with mango n passion fruit...with topping just like that... I know urs must taste heavenly!

Pavithra Elangovan February 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM  

I love passion fruit so i am gonna love this for sure..yummm

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} February 2, 2012 at 3:30 AM  

Give me a slice of cheesecake and I'm a happy camper.
Yours is so beautiful! Love the passion fruit jelly on top!

Ushnish Ghosh February 2, 2012 at 3:31 AM  

Dear Ananda
The introduction at the beginning is really a good read. I think you should start writing novel and short stories.
The cake is very nice and quite tough to make it , I can see.
Have a nice weekend

Anonymous February 2, 2012 at 6:03 AM  

The cake looks gorgeous and such lovely pic as well.

Cassia Bark February 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM  

Oh Ananda...how do u manage to make such gorgeous cakes? these a each a piece of art!!! :)

Sohini xx

Treat and Trick February 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM  

Silky smooth and so tempting!

Anh February 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM  

wow! wonderful looking cheesecake!

Magic of Spice February 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM  

That is simply stunning and no doubt a decedent delight!

LinsFood February 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM  

Firstly, it is simple beautiful to look at! I bet the passion fruit goes amazingly with the creamy cheese! Lin xx

Vijitha February 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM  

Looks easy to fix and love the fact that its vegetarian. I have one bunch of friends who are vegetarian. Will keep this dessert for the next get together I plan with them.

Lakshmi @Purevegetarian February 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM  

Ananda, it is the first cheesecake online I see without gelatin on the cream-cheese part. Does it hold together well? It looks firm. Something to try out! I usually use Multi hyytelösokeri (by Dansukker) instead of gelatin.

 
designed by GeCe for special use by A Pinch of Love